A few tips before you begin:
1. Read slowly and carefully.
2. Decide what to read closely and what to skim.
3. Highlight, underline, and/or circle information in the text that you think is important.
4. Annotate and make notes in the margins when reading.
5. Think about how the content of the text applies to your writing purpose.
6. Use reference materials, such as a dictionary.
7. Put ideas presented in the text into your own words.
8. Use context clues.
9. Re-read parts you don’t understand.
10. Meet with your professor when you are confused.
See the full explanations of these tips here: