Provide your students an alternative to expensive textbooks by following these steps:
- Find the right textbook by going to the Open Textbook Sources listed in this Guide. Try to familiarize yourself with the sources by going to their website.
- Search for the appropriate textbooks for your course.
- Review and evaluate the textbooks based on the content and whether it suits your teaching style and your students. You can also consult the Faculty Evaluation Guide below or this page of Evaluation Criteria.
- Decide if you want to use the textbook as is or if you want to modify the contents. One of the benefits of open textbooks is flexibility to customize them for specific course designs as much or as little as you desire. If you want to make edits or append content, make sure the licensing allows that. Different repositories will have different options for editing and publishing revised copies.
- Distribute to your students by uploading into Canvas. You can select the best format to distribute to your class such as online, or downloadable PDF.