In its final format – the paper is a persuasive, informative research essay written to inform your peers and others who know relatively little about the current crisis of affordable housing.
Some of the issues you will be addressing:
- The importance of all people being housed – to individuals, families and communities
- Affordable housing
- What is affordable housing?
- In general, why there is a shortage of affordable housing units (affordable for people earning in the low- to moderate-income categories; housing for people earning 30 – 80% of AMI for a geographic region; and for rental property);
- For a specific geographic area (city, county, state – WA) the type and number of housing units that are short
- The basic approaches to increasing affordable housing and what your geographic area is doing to increase affordable housing units
- An application of how the issue is being addressed in a local community (city, county or WA state)
- The necessity of government involvement, political will and the role of citizens in advocating for housing for all.
Resources for the Paper:
- Most resources should be current (published since 2014).
- Eight (8) different sources are required, with the following stipulations:
- A maximum of two sources can be newspaper articles
- On-line sources must be .org, .gov or .edu; but not .com (.com references can be used as part of an introductory story, example, etc.)
- A minimum of one academic journal article and one book reference (not the text)
References (at the end of each question or at the end of all the questions)
- For in-text citations and references (every in-text citation needs to be in the reference list; and every item in the reference list needs to be cited in the text)
- use APA format
- single space within and double space between references
- the title for this section is References and it is on its own page