In this guide...
Subject Guide Learning Outcomes
Students will distinguish between types of sources in order to determine which sources provide the best support for their arguments.
Students will locate statistics and data in order to provide evidence for their claims.
Students will practice paraphrasing in order to ensure that evidence is properly referenced.
Assignment (from Dr. Hartje's handout)
This paper is a persuasive, informative research essay written to inform your peers and others who know relatively little about the current crisis of affordable housing
Some of the issues you will be addressing:
- Why housing matters or why housing is important for all to have;
- Why there is a shortage of housing units affordable for people earning in the low- to moderate-income categories (the focus is on housing for people earning 30 – 80% of AMI for a geographic region, and for rental property) ;
- The basic approaches to increasing affordable housing and how the issue is being addressed by the private, public (government) and non-profit sectors of the economy, and
- The role citizens can play in insuring housing for all.
Resources for the Paper:
- For written resources, use the readings assigned for this course first, as appropriate.
- Most resources should be current (published since 2010).
- Eight (8) different sources are required, with the following stipulations:
‒ A maximum of two sources can be newspaper articles
‒ On-line sources must be .org, .gov or .edu; but not .com (.com references can be used as part of an introductory story, example, etc.)
‒ A minimum of one academic journal article and one book reference (not the text)
References (on separate page)
- For in-text citations and references (every in-text citation needs to be in the reference list; and every item in the reference list needs to be cited in the text)
- Use APA format
- Single space within and double space between
- On your reference list, highlight the academic journal article with yellow highlighter. Also, submit one copy of the academic journal article with the final draft.