In this guide...
Subject Guide Learning Outcomes
Students will distinguish between types of sources in order to determine which sources provide the best support for their arguments.
Students will locate statistics and data in order to provide evidence for their claims.
Assignment (from Dr. Hartje's handout)
This paper is a persuasive, informative research essay focusing mainly on affordable housing in the U.S.
You will be writing for an audience of your peers/colleagues, who know very little about this topic.
You are basically explaining why housing matters to individuals, families and communities; what the challenges are in providing housing for everyone; and what needs to be done so that everyone has housing.
Some of the questions that you will be answering:
- Why does everyone need housing? Why does housing matter?
- What are the indicators that housing does not function as a right, but rather as a privilege in the US?
- Why is it difficult to provide housing for all in the US?
- What is the role of government and the functions of the private and non-profit sector in providing housing for all?
- What is the role of citizens in supporting housing for all or what can citizens do to support housing for all?
Gathering & Using Sources:
- For written resources, use the readings assigned for this course first, as appropriate.
- For in-text citations and references, use APA format
- Most resources should be current (published within the past few years).
- Ten (10) different sources are required, with the following stipulations:
- A maximum of two sources can be newspaper articles
- On-line sources must be .org, .gov or .edu; but not .com
- A minimum of one academic journal article and one book reference (not the text)
Here is the complete assignment packet: