In this guide...
Subject Guide Learning Outcomes
Students will distinguish between types of sources in order to determine which sources provide the best support for their arguments.
Students will locate statistics and data in order to provide evidence for their claims.
Students will practice paraphrasing in order to ensure that evidence is properly referenced.
Assignment (from Dr. Hartje's handout)
This paper is a persuasive, informative research essay focusing mainly on the lack of and need for housing affordable to low-wage earners in the US.
You will be writing for an audience of your peers/colleagues, who know very little about this topic.
You are basically explaining the importance of housing; the challenges in providing housing for everyone; and what needs to be done so that everyone has housing.
Some of the questions that you will be answering:
- Why does housing matter?
- What does it mean for housing to function as a privilege?
- What are the indicators that housing functions as a privilege in the US?
- What are the consequences when housing functions as a privilege?
- Why is it difficult to provide housing for all in the US?
- What is the role of government and the functions of the private and non-profit sector in providing housing for all?
- What is the role of citizens in supporting housing for all or what can citizens do to support housing for all?
Resources for the Paper:
- For written resources, use the readings assigned for this course first, as appropriate.
- Most resources should be current (published since 2010).
- Ten (10) different sources are required, with the following stipulations:
- A maximum of two sources can be newspaper articles
- On-line sources must be .org, .gov or .edu; but not .com (.com references can be used as part of an introductory story, example, etc.)
- A minimum of one academic journal article and one book reference (not the text)
References (on separate page)
- For in-text citations and references (every in-text citation needs to be in the reference list; and every item in the reference list needs to be cited in the text)
- use APA format
- single space within and double space between
- On your reference list, highlight the academic journal article with yellow highlighter. Also, submit one copy of the academic journal article with the final draft.
Here is the complete assignment packet: